Sixy Beast

Sixy Beast is a handle I use sometimes on online discussion forums about food. This blog houses some of my less well organised blog posts, especially restaurant reviews, which for one reason or another haven't made it onto the main blog as a post in their own right.

2.18.2005

Re(1): One extraordinary dinner?

View Full Thread here

I would definitely dismiss Tallula. I was there recently for a birthday party. Prior to that I wasn't enamoured of it, neither was the majority of this board. On my last visit it was a bit better than the previous time. There was a lobster appetizer which was divine, but overall I thought the food was uninspiring, although we did have a great deal of fun

The last time I visited 2223 (about a year ago) I remember it was really good, and I have read good things about it in the press recently.

It's over a year since I went to Tablespoon too. So my poor opinion of it (one of the worst "trendy" pizzas ever encountered, another disappointing entree and an extremely rude barman) may be dated. I do remember the wait staff were truly excellent despite the failure of everyone else around them to pull the meal together.
I would be interested to hear from other hounds as to how it is fairing these days.

I have had some great times in Bambuddha too. When it opened I was quite a regular and I had some great meals there and the prices were really reasonable. (The only thing I didn't like was the service - they were overworked). Fred and I were commenting just the other day how we haven't been there for ages. I hope it is still as good as it was. Again, I haven't heard much about it in a long time so I don't know.

Frisson - I have mixed feelings about this place. It's certainly a lively funky place to go for a drink and they have some wonderful cocktails. Unfortunately their incredible "Fountain of Youth" is out of season but on my last visit I had a raspberry puree and champagne (I think ) drink which was a hit - really saucy, fruity and mouthpuckeringly fruity. Yum!

The other places on your list, I have no direct experience of. There are a couple of other places I would suggest you consider, based on the kind of vibe you seem to like.

1) Jack Falstaff in SoMa,. Only opened just before Christmas. I went there twice in the first week. It's a mixed bag but there are some stunners on the menu. Search the board back to the end of December to see a couple of threads to see what worked for us there. They have a great wine list too. It is more expensive than somewhere like Bambuddha though.

2) In the same area but on the less expensive side there is Oola, where you can't go wrong with the ribs. (I recently heard a rumour they are deepfried. Is that what makes them so good?) It's kind of busy and cool and hip. (Reservations necessary for prime time dining) The staff are wonderfully accommodating and caring about their customers. Recently we were kept waiting 40 mins for a reserved table. They bought us a complimentary appetizer, despite the fact we didn't complain, or get arsy or even ask them how much longer our table would be, at any point. I was really impressed. The friendly bar staff mix a mean drink at Oola too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home